We get lots of questions about child car seats, children in the front seats of cars, what age a child can stop using a car seat, use a booster seat instead etc. The main things to remember are:
- Child under 3 – If there is no room for a 3rd child seat in the back seat (because of children/child seats already in the back) a 3rd child under the age of 3 MUST NOT travel unless they are in the front WITH the correct child seat
- Child over 3 – If there is no room for the third child seat in the rear, then a child over 3 can sit in the back using an adult belt
- Child over 3 and up to 135cm – If there is no room for a third child over the age of 3 in the rear then they can use the front seat WITH the correct child seat
- Children over 3 years of age and up to 135cm (or 12 years of age) – MUST use the correct child seat (usually the type of car seat needed varies according to a child’s weight)
- Where a child over 3 and up to 12 (or 135cm) is using an appropriate seat, this should be used in the rear where possible
From reading the info on this site I understand that as long as he exceeds 135cm, he does not need a booster seat, and I cannot see anything documented that states he cannot sit in the front seat of a car. Can you help?
While the laws regarding the transport of children are specific, they can be a bit confusing. Although you didn’t specifically say that your son was wearing a seat belt when your friend was stopped by the traffic warden, I’m assuming that he was. According to current law in the UK, your friend was not acting unlawfully in transporting your son, so the traffic warden was out of line to suggest that she was. If he was unbelted, however, then he would not have been allowed to ride in the front seat and the warden was partially correct.
- Booster car seat for children from 15 to 36 kg (3,5 to 12 years)
- Grows along with your child thanks to the easy headrest and backrest adjustment from the top
- Patented AirProtect technology for extra protection of child's head
With regards to car seat laws in the UK, here are the specifics that apply to your son, at age 7 and 140cm. Normally, 7 year olds require booster seats (they are necessary until the age of 12, unless the child is at least 135cm tall), but since your son is tall for his age, the law does not require him to use one. Additionally, there is no law that prevents him from riding in the front seat of a car, as long as he is wearing a seat belt.
While the law was not broken when your friend transported your son from school, it is important to remember that it is considered far safer for children to ride in the rear seat of a car than in the front.
Booster Seats Offer Additional Safety
- Child car seat, suitable for use from about 3.5 or 4 to 12 years (approx from 100 cm to 150 cm)
- ISOFIX installation is possible with this Group 2/3 car booster seat for optimal stability
- Quick and easy to buckle up: This ISOFIX car seat is designed to enable children to get in and out...
Booster seats, while not required for a child of your son’s height, do provide an additional layer of safety, and the Department for Transport recommends that children should continue using booster seats until they are 150cm tall. So, for everyday transportation, he would ideally be seated in a back seat booster that is appropriate for his weight.
If the situation was to arise again and your son needs to unexpectedly be transported by a friend, he can ride in the front seat if he wears a seat belt. Children or any other passengers cannot ride in a car without wearing a seat belt.
When placing children in the front seat of a car you must also consider the airbag, and if the car has one it MUST be switched off. Children have been killed by car airbags, even when the collision was only a minor one and one which wouldn’t have normally resulted in death.
Even at the age of 7 and at the height of 140cm your is still at risk from the car airbag if he is in the front seat of a car.
- Children of that age and even older have not fully developed and can not withstand the force with which the airbag is released
- Their back, neck and stomach muscles are weaker than that of an adult
- A child’s head is also out of proportion to the rest of their body which makes it harder for them to kept an upright position during collisions, resulting in their body being propelled further forward than an adult and thus increasing the impact as they hit the airbag
As a guide children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat on the correct child seat for their age, so for your son of 7 that would be a booster seat. Contrary to popular belief the safest place for a child to sit is the middle seat of the back seat of the car, as long as it has a 3 point seat belt.
If you, or anyone transporting your child, do put your child in the front seat of the car make sure that the airbag is turned off and that the seat is slid backwards so it is further away from the dashboard. If your airbag does not have a switch to turn it off you can have on installed, the car manufacturer will be able to do this.
Baby Car Seats
- A multi-stage forward facing car seat suitable for babies, toddlers and children from 9 months to...
- Easy adjustable and smooth headrest of this reclining Maxi-Cosi car seat grows along in 11 steps to...
- Solid ISOFIX installation with top tether offers high stability for this convertible car seat
You should never place a baby in a rear facing car seat in the front seat of a car which has an air bag. The position of the car seat places the baby’s head in the direct firing line of the airbag – which is released at a speed of approximately 200mph! Ideally all baby car seats should be used in the rear of the car even if they are front facing ones. Read more about child and baby car seats in our feature here.
The law does not prevent your son from riding in the front seat of a car, but it is considered far safer for them to ride in the rear. If he is seated in the front seat, make sure that the airbag is turned off and that he wears his seat belt. It’s also important to remember that children of this age and even older have not fully developed muscles, so do not withstand the force with which the airbag is released as well as adults.
If you are in any doubt about whether a child is old enough or big enough to be in the front seat of a car you should always err on the side of caution and place them in the back.
Here are some of our favourite car seats & Accessories
- Baby car seat, suitable from birth to 13 kg (birth to 12 months)
- Side protection system for optimal protection against side impact
- Extra comfortable head support thanks to extra padding
- QUICKLY TRANSFORMS - Kid's backpack to portable car seat in seconds, can also be used as a booster...
- LIFT SHARE - Always have a portable booster seat to hand for the school pickup or sports club no...
- HAND LUGGAGE - 8-litre capacity bag for packing toys/games/stationery keeping children entertained...
- PROTECT YOUR CAR UPHOLSTERY: MORROLS Car Seat Protector made from durable 600D Oxford fabric and PVC...
- BABY AUTO AEAT PROTECTOR: Use under child seats provides more protection for your car seats,...
- PERFECT FOR ALL CARS: Kids car seat protectors has best size coverage available, the car seat...
- ★ UK'S LEADING CHILD TRAVEL ACCESSORY BRAND - putting you and your baby's safety and comfort first...
- ★ PROTECT YOUR CAR’S VALUE - 97% of car buyers will pay more for a car if the car's interior is...
- ★ READY TO GO IN AN INSTANT - as a parent we constantly face difficult tasks, make this an easier...
- Easy and quick ISOFIX installation (Base Sold Separately)
- Best-ever score awarded by ADAC, a world-leading independent testing body
- 5-point safety harness for secure fit
- 👶🏻 [ PEACE OF MIND ] - Keep an eye on your child in the back seat and provide some additional...
- 👶🏻 [ SAFETY FIRST ] - Onco’s baby mirror is made from 100% shatterproof plastic and measures...
- 👶🏻 [ ADJUSTABLE ANGLES ] - The 360° rotation allows you to modify the mirror’s angles with...
- Adjustable to fit most straps.
- Easy to fit and release, with one clip.
- Multi-purpose use.
- ❤️️ [STRONG SEALING] - Sealing performance of urine bucket is good. No leaking after...
- ❤️️ [BIG CAPACITY AND LIGHTER] - Max capacity :500ml, about 2-3 times's Urine volume,...
- ❤️️ [BETTER QUALITY MATERIAL] - Made of high quality eco-friendly ABS material, which is safe,...